View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I've had one for over 10 years, and while I own a "nicer" jazzbox, I don't think I'll ever part with the Godin. It's just darn fun to play, and the Godin P-90 is excellent, and not too noisy.

I think the Kingpins are one of those things where if it works for you, you know very quickly.
+1, and the CW II version - two P-90's and a cutaway - just ups the grins (and versatility) by a factor of 10. I own one, and it's more than just a jazzbox: the ultra-thin woods used in its construction (mine scales in at just a tick over five pounds - about the same as a Seagull mini-jumbo) give it an airy, lively response that lends a Brooklyn Gretsch vibe to the midrangey P-90 tone - a definite contrast to the "thud-&-mud" of most laminated instruments, and useable for clean blues, rockabilly, '50s/60s R&R and R&B, first-wave Brit Invasion, and even surf. It also has the customary Godin QC/playability - mine was one of three guitars I've owned over the last six decades that needed no setup whatsoever - and other than the Korean-made Gretsch 5400-Series Electromatic hollows, IME there's nothing else in the same league in the under-$1K category: