View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 05:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
Hey boils n goils
So I've got my first resonator recently and I decided Id give slide a little whirl for the first time (ever, on any guitar)

The instructors on the videos I've watched say to use or 'glide' the slide over the string lightly so that you dont hear the frets clicking while you pass over them.

And yeah this definitely works when on a single string or even a couple strings on one side of the neck

But I'm noticing when a song calls for a slide on all six strings I have to sort of press down pretty dang firmly to get all the strings to play or specifically to not buzz against the slide. Harder than I imagined because i was told to use the slide lightly. Its almost like half way between fretting and gliding

Is this normal?

I did notice the neck appears to have a very slight radius to my eye, not sure how much it is or if im hallucinating, i was hoping to get a completely flat neck as i heard they are good for slide and its what im used to playing on (on my nylon guitars and old harmony guitar) but yeah.
The lighter the mass of the slide/bottleneck vs the gauge/tension of the string set, the more pressure you have to apply.

The issue of a straight sided slide vs a radius fingerboard is another issue. Trying to engage the surface of the slide with all 6 strings is problematic because of the extra pressure needed to engage the outer strings because in doing so you've added more pressure to the inner strings.

Heavy slides with a concave surface are not as readily available as straight heavy slides.

I've been playing bottleneck/slide/lap dobro since 1970, so I have some experience with most of these issues.

Your observations are correct, so trust your hands, ears and logic, first & foremost. If you're watching a video it's a one way street, but just because someone on a video says something doesn't mean it applies to your situation, and if they're not available to question, then by all means take what they say with a grain of salt and a Margarita.

Here's a video where I'm using my Telecaster build with a very curved, very heavy bottleneck that I cut from a magnum champagne bottle. The strings are .013-.054 in open D tuning. You'll see plenty of moments where I'm playing 3+ strings spanning from 6 to 1 simultaneously. Although it's probably premature to start trying it, watch my right hand carefully. Even though the bottleneck is covering all 6 strings sometimes, you'll only hear the ones I intend to sound.

THAT'S where the majority of the string muting/selecting is being done.

Regards,
Howard Emerson