View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the nice words folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRF View Post
This is a great thread and I must admit I had to google sapwood to see exactly what is was you guys were talking about and just want to know if there is any tonal or stability differences between the boards if they consist of both sapwood and heartwood.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

A builder could answer your sapwood question better than me, but here is my 2 cents anyway:

Never seen it in top wood.

In the sides, Mike has it matched with a layer of wenge, a very hard wood, so that the sides have considerable rigidity overall and act to support the top and the back (which do all the tone making)

On the back? I do have sapwood on another of my Baraniks – which has an African blackwood back and sides. The sapwood provides a nice visual contrast to the darker wood and the guitar still has all of the characteristics associated with ABW as a tonewood – a rich, dark and creamy tone. Stability-wise, the guitar is 11 years old now and showing no signs that the sapwood (which is along the join) is causing problems. I haven't asked Mike about it but I am sure that he only uses sapwood if it is stable so I am guessing that while it looks different it doesn't act too different?

Col

Last edited by colins; 05-31-2019 at 02:00 AM.