View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I've been a K&K fan for a long time. I recently tried the new Schatten HFN (ABS plastic adhered with tape) pickups and I am a fan. They really need a preamp and can't really be used direct in a pinch like K&K. But, the quality of the highs and mids is better to my ears. That said, HFN can produce too many highs without the proper preamp to roll them off. I am using passive K&K in two guitars with a ToneDexter and other preamps. And, I have the Schatten HFN VT active system in the D-28 Modern Deluxe. I am considering switching the K&K in the 12 string to the HFN VT Active. I also really like Dazzo pickups. They are epoxied in and have the ability to fine tune the bass response via selection.
Thanks for the reply. I think at this moment I'm leaning toward the Schatten VT Active. While the Dazzo might be overall better, by the time you buy the pickup and get a GOOD preamp or blender DI you're getting close to $500. The Schatten is sold everywhere for about $150. I like the installation simplicity of the Schatten as well. I'm not up for messing with epoxy inside my 48 year old guitar.

One question about the Schatten VT active... Where does the battery go? What kind of batteries does it use?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS