View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 05:38 AM

Default country/americana songbooks for beginning guitarist (but not beginning musician)?

We had a party at our country/line dance club yesterday where part of the music was played (more or less) life by a couple of musicians (impression from another event below). My wife liked this (I might have appreciated it more if the average sound level had been kept a lot lower). I pointed out this was more or less a karaoke act where the guitarist didn't really add anything (just strumming chords already played on the soundtrack).

But as she observed correctly, it's not something I'd know how to do myself ... and we should be doing "something like this" together because she'd like to learn the lyrics to the songs we dance to. Sadly this was while driving back, otherwise I'd have asked the performers where they get their music.

I had a quick look on amazon for songbooks or something of the sort but realised I didn't really know what to search for.
What I'm looking for is a book with transcriptions of known/classic country/americana songs of the sort used in country/line dancing, for just guitar + voice. Coming from classical music I'm at a "low intermediate" level for playing written-out scores; I've never yet figured out how to play from pure tabs let alone from just a chord sequence. I think there's a book just like that with songs from Clapton's Unplugged album that should do (for a different style ).

Any suggestions?

An idea of the grandiose show we had

Last edited by RJVB; 06-16-2019 at 05:40 AM. Reason: copy/paste failure...