View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I was very interested in the Kevin Michael travel as well but after reading a bunch of threads it became apparent that the scale and fret board were likely going to be a little too small for me. Since travel needs was not an issue (like plane travel) I went with the Rainsong Shorty APLE. The scale is short but more 'normal' short. Also, the 1 3/4" nut and 2 3/16" string spacing mirror my Santa Cruz OO perfectly and give me a seamless transition between the two. Plus, the APLE model looks great and has a decent pickup system in it with an internal microphone that can be blended with the UST.

Although the body of the Shorty is a normal sized 000/OM, because it joins the neck at the 12th fret, the scale feels very short. It's more similar to my SC's 24.5" scale than my 000-28EC's 24.9" scale. Super comfortable. Plus, it has a cutaway so access to the 14th and higher frets is easier, unlike my SC with no cutaway. But the Shorty's larger body makes for a great sounding guitar amplified and unamplified. Although it has a larger 000/OM size body, it still feels like a much smaller guitar.

If I was looking strictly based on travel needs (plane, camping, boating, etc.) then I might go with something smaller, but since I was just looking for a guitar that could backup the SC in inclement weather or rough conditions, the Shorty got the call.

I also had an Emerald X20 that was excellent. There are several models in that line that are just great guitars and might work for your small-guitar needs.
Hey thanks a bunch for the info, my other and forever guitar is a SC OO Skye and the transition issue sounds right on. My main reason for small size is back and heath related so important, not so much the travel thing.
I am presently looking at letting my OOO18GE go to fund this new guitar, got a great trade in offer almost straight up, but going to go over and check out that Shorty again......Jerry