View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I don't think anybody (including me) has been hyperbolic.
Seriously? Ok.

Quote:
Can a great sound system with a great sound man sound better than an individual using one of the Bose stick systems? Of course.
Truth.

Quote:
But for the typical singer/songwriter who's out playing by himself, who has to bring his own gear and not have a sound guy available at the venue, I've found that the Bose delivers the best results most of the time. YMMV, and all that.
I'll never understand why some people don't learn about simple things like gain staging, EQ, and speaker placement. Maybe it's laziness. They just buy something with DSP that has all of the life scooped out of it so it's less likely to feed back.

Quote:
Just tonight another perfect example, too, of no sound guy (although the place does have powered speakers and a beat-up mixer if one wants to use it)..
If it wasn't "beat up gear," would that have changed anything? Because for the price of some of these units, you can buy some pretty nice boxes and a nice mixer. You'll probably even have some money left over.

Quote:
What I thought was gonna be just a guy and his guitar (and then a friend of mine who plays cajon showed up, so my hopes got even higher) turned into an acoustic/vocal with a cajon player and bass player and electric player and digital piano. All with their own gear (two powered speakers) and monitors.
Wait for it...

Quote:

I could tell as soon as they started doing "sound check" (and the quotes are there for a reason) that it wasn't going to be to my liking. I asked for my check, but stuck around for one song . . just for you. .
So, not a proper sound check? Ok.

Quote:
Just as I expected. Vocal was buried, bass was too loud, and overall sound level was way too high at 103 db.
Haha, I'm crying!!!
So a bunch of cats that didn't know what they were doing were running their own sound, and it didn't sound good? Imagine THAT!
...and you're running around with a db meter. This almost sounds made up at this point.

I'll admit that it's possible to get a consistently decent sound in certain situations with these systems, especially if you don't know how to gain stage, eq, and mix. However, with a little knowledge, some decent gear, and big ears, you can get consistently GREAT sounds in pretty much ANY situation, for less money.

I'd rather spend less money for a better sound out of a system that works everywhere that I play, than your alternative. So you're right: my milage does vary.

I've heard some people sound terrible with L1 Model II's and some sound decent as well. I've heard them fight to keep up when they were underpowered for the situation.

I'll say that most of the time they sound ok,... but I've never heard one sound incredible. I get that you're a fan, and I'm not bashing them at all. I just feel like, as a musician, part of your job should be knowing how to mix. Why would anyone not learn that skill set?

It would be like getting hired to deliver for UPS, but not know how to drive.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS