View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 PM

If you are happy with your sound, nothing you do is a bad habit. It's your style Seriously. What makes you YOU is what makes you YOU. Albert King or Dick Dale with a normally strung guitar would never have sounded the way they did.

They still probably would have been pros because of all the rest of what goes into becoming a legend, but they would have sounded different. Keef without open tunings could still have played Start Me Up, or Brown Sugar, or Can't you Hear me Knockin'. But it would have sounded different.

By all means if something doesn't serve you or holds you back work to change it. But otherwise, be yourself. Anchor your picking hand if that's what you do. Wrap that thumb. Use a thumbpick to upsweep (one of my "bad habits" that works out great when I don't think about it but catches on the string, sometimes even ending up sliding up and down the string like an ornament when I try to teach someone how to do it ! )