View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 PM

OK my selection:

Royer 121
Oktava Mk012
Kel HM3C
ADK Vienna Mk8
Neumann 84

In the initial fingerstyle bit, the Royer captures a strong, driving sound in the bass strings like nothing else. Not so good on the strumming part of the clip. Not many mics did sound good on the strummed sample so maybe the guitar is partly to blame.

Oktavas: low end body and lots of detail and silky high end sparkle. If you like new string zing I think these would really capture that well.

Kel HM3C: honest and accurate. Way too good to be this cheap! They coped well with the strummed part. Very few of the other mics did, at least IMO.

ADK Vienna: slightly emphasised top end but not to any extreme. I think I could get some lovely, bright-but-balanced sounds out of this.

Neumann 84: I'd pick this just to have something different... It sounded extremely biased towards the high end which normally is a big turn-off for me BUT it might be good to have that option for times when you want something to cut through or for shimmery, bright strumming.

Not sure I can talk prices here but let's just say the more expensive mics don't always sound the best.

I really like that Royer. Would be superb on fingerstyle if you want a smooth and silky sound. Oktavas if you like more zing and detail.