View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 PM

Square neck Reso's are kind of a tough thing to shop for - if you find a store that has one or two, they are almost always the beginner Hound Dog and some sort of import cheapo, neither of which really give a good sound to even an experienced player. If you are lucky enough to try a broader variety, it is like Christmas. Because of this, you can either buy off of stranger's recommendations, or take a trip to try some things out.

Resonator recommendation kind of depends on the sound you want to get - if you want a traditional "uncle Josh" sound, then you will want a smaller bodied dobro or even an older used Dobro brand. If you want a more modern and full Jerry Douglas type sound, then you will want a larger body resonator. In the beginner price large body, there is a Recording King Phil Leadbetter signature model that is dang hard to beat. I actually started myself with the Gold Tone Paul Beard Solid Mahogany (PBSM), which is a fantastic reso, but if I were starting again I would either go with the Leadbetter or perhaps go straight to a top name instrument like a Beard.

On picks - this is much like anything else guitar and very much a personal style thing. I had a hard time finding finger picks that were comfortable, so I ended up with some called perfect touch, which fit farther up your finger. To start out though, I'd go to any local music store and find some of the cheapish dunlop or propiks. Thumb pick - much the same, and I landed on a blue chip but they are $40 apiece. You may want to start with something a bit more basic and make sure you like it before dropping money on picks.

Slide - again, you can spend upwards of $100 here and I really like my sheerhorn, but starting out I'd probably get a basic SHUBB SP3 or a lap dawg, which will run you around $35-40.

Other advice - if you're doing it much you will want a decent capo. For the money, the Walworth is my favorite. If you practice much, you will find that you burn through strings faster than on a regular acoustic guitar.

There is a decent resonator specific forum out there, and there is also some overlap in the lap steel community. Reso is a lot of fun to play if you can get the opportunity to take it out live.