View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Preamp Test Run

Okay friends, if you follow the link below, it should take you to a Google Drive file which is an mp3 I exported.
I am noodling between some bad flatpicking and bad fingerpicking.
Link to Audio

The mics are positioned like so - one close mic'd at the 16th fret, angled a little towards the soundhole; one above, aiming down, angled at the left shoulder of the upper bout. Sort of like the mic position discussed here.
This is the best position I have found for my big and boomy dreadnought. Brings out some high end clarity, but maintains the true tone of a dreadnought.
My dread, a D-18 style guitar, is strung up with Elixir Nickels, which are dry, yet have a jangle on the top end.

Mics are 440 MBHOs, into a Neve Portico 5012, gain at 24db, into the bypass channels of Steinberg UR44. I've added about 8db or so of gain in Ableton. No post processing other than the gain bump.
My room is not awesome, so the noise (birds, "hum") is the best I can do, currently. (As an aside, I'm open to acoustic treatment suggestions.)

Hope this helps anyone decide. I'm pretty stoked at how great the Neve sounds. Will be getting lots of use on my second album.

P.S. I am open to - and welcome - your audio critique and feedback. My goal for mic'ing and mixing the guitar is for it to feel like you're sitting in front of me and listening. Let me know what you think of the recording, not the playing, because it was pretty lazy playing.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com

Last edited by lukegard22; 10-15-2019 at 01:36 PM.