View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 07:20 AM

Default Live sound and mixing....need help!

I am hoping that some people here may have some better experience than I have and can make some suggestions. I have an upcoming solo acoustic gig and I am trying to put together a new setup. I recently got a new acoustic that I am really wanting to use but for several reasons, I would rather mic it for the performance. In the past I have always used a K&K and Red-Eye DI straight into the mixer and it has been awesome, but I am not wanting to add any pickups to this new guitar. I have searched YouTube for tips on live micing, but all I am finding is videos on recording.

For the gig I will be using a Mackie 1202VLZ4 board with a Lexicon rack effects unit for a little reverb on vocals. My vocal mic is a Shure Beta 58. I will also be using a single QSC K10.2 for sound. The room is a smaller "tasting room" for a microbrewery. Unfortunately, brick walls, cement floor, you know the place. I don't really want to be loud, just heard. I believe it will be more a more laid-back, listening-room type of vibe. I will be using a stool to sit on, so moving around is really not an issue.

For my guitar I will be using a Martin 00-21 that has very good sound projection. Great guitar. I have several mic's to choose from (Shure SM57, Beta 57, Rode NT1, Rode M3, Shure SM58). If there are any other mic suggestions, especially those that are easily available at a local music store, please let me know!

What I am looking for advice on is what mic would be best for a live setting and what I need to do on the mixer as far as gain versus volume, should I add a little reverb, etc. If you were a soundman, how would you set this up? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!