View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 AM

What's surprising in JonFields45 algorithm is the modest bass boost he gets. Especially compared to my recipe and I guess against TD.

We know that IR making usually induces a bass boost (see TD patent). I think it is due to the lack of sensing of the pickup for the soundhole resonance which is more an "air thing" and due to the IR trying to compensate.

On the other side, IRs you find on the internet are usually lighter in bass than the one made with my recipe.

It would be cool, if Jon add a variable that counts how many time the "near-zero correction" is used for each frequency bin.

My idea is the following:
1) In my algorithm, there is no "near-zero correction" if the pickup signal is "near-zero" and the mic signal is present.

It means that at each stroke, when the soundhole "woofes" at 80Hz and the mic senses that, my program will add a huge bass boost to try to amplify a near-zero pickup signal around 80Hz.

2) In Jon's algorithm, there is a "near-zero correction". It means that at each stroke, when the soundhole "woofes", the program will sens the "woof" on the mic but also a "near-zero" signal from the pickup.

It will then avoid set the gain at 80Hz to 0dB (that the "near-zero correction")

Jon: I think I am going to steal that idea ...But will apply it just below 150 Hz.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/