View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey glad you got it working OK.... I have never heard it but UBK has a great rep.
The Clariphonic MS works on frequencies from around 800hz and up. It is essentially using a variety of bell curves to shape the sound of the upper-mids and highs. What makes it somewhat unique is it has a mid/side mode. I just finished mastering a cd of 15 alternative/punk songs and used the UAD/Softube Curve Bender eq plugin on every track. I found the mid/side capability of that plugin very useful for enhancing the stereo image.

The very cool thing about this hardware unit is that it allows me to use any piece of gear I own in mid/side. On the back are two pre-eq inserts, one for mid, one for sides.

I'd love to own a real Curve Bender but the hardware unit is $6k and doesn't have the mid/side capability of the plugin, so that's not likely to happen.

Quote:
The Audioscape is their take on an LA2A?
Yes. I'm a fan of Audioscape products. The owner, Chris Yetter, really does a great job with the clones. The first piece I bought from him was an Opto. When it arrived, I invited a couple of friends over who also have studios because I wanted some honest opinions about how good or bad the unit is. One of the friends has about my level of experience and the other has much more experience and better ears than either of us.

We spent some time running some tracks through the Opto and comparing the results with the UAD LA2A plugin which all three of us use and like. We all agreed that the Audioscape Opto gave us results that were more open than the plugin. We're able to push the Opto harder before tracks start to sound like someone threw a towel over the speakers. I liked it so much I picked up a second Opto and also a 76A (1176 clone) which also works really well.

More recently I decided I wanted a hardware two-buss compressor to mix into and picked up the Audioscape Buss Compressor (SSL G series clone) and it's another really nice piece of gear.

Tonight I ordered his new V-Comp. It's his version of a STA-level compressor. An acquaintance of mine got one of the first five Chris sold and he's blown away by how good it sounds on vocals.

I think I'm done buying compressors now.

Quote:
Yep looks like his Elysia is stereo and double space
Yes, the elysia is a two space unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Looks great! If I were working between control rooms I'd have a 500 rack with some Neve and API input channels. As it stands I've been given a room as my home where we've gone the rack route.
Most of my gear are rack units. That includes four mic pres, five compressors, the new Kush eq, three patchbays, and two power conditioners. I'm determined to use the 500 rack for stuff other than more pres and comps. Right now my gear takes up 29 spaces. I think I'm reaching the limit for a comfortable working space where everything is within reach, so the nice thing about the 500 rack is I have room to add another 7 units without taking up any more space.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube