View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I'm currently using an AT2020 with a personas usb 96. I'd like to start using a second mic for playing/singing simultaneously as well as recording in stereo. My question: Purchase a second AT2020 for "consistency" or upgrade the second one to at 2035. Does the upgrade outweigh the advantage sameness? (Is "sameness" even a word?!)
Thanks!
LarryK.
Just some additional thoughts and to clarify when you say recording in "stereo" with second mic (while playing and singing simultaneously) Understanding "stereo" effect is a linear left to right situation, and given you are using a 2 mic only input interface. What you would then be talking about is having the mic's situated on the same elevation plane in a horizontal spaced pair configuration, both somewhere between the level of your guitar and the level of your mouth. In this case two of same mic's will work fine and figure of 8 is not going to be of particular advantage.

On the other hand if you are thinking of having the mics arranged vertically one for your voice and one for your guitar, then what you are actually talking about is dual mono recording not actually "stereo" (unless you would try to pan them left and right) which could work and would be stereo, but will have the guitar coming more from one side, and the vocal coming more from the other , just as point of clarification .

And in vertical mic position, as people have suggested what sounds good with your particular voice then becomes more of a factor, and you might want to try to for example to audition a 2035 and 2020 and see it there is any noticeable improvement on you voice . And also figure of 8 might be a consideration (although not critical)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-29-2019 at 10:04 AM.