View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Just like playing to a click track, tracking guitar and vox separately is a learned skill. Both are skills that make post-production much easier and with enough practice, the performance doesn't have to suffer. My personal trick is to sing "air vocals" while tracking guitar. I'm not making any sound but I'm mouthing every word as if I were.
Ha, this is one of those ongoing debates for which there is no right or wrong answer. It does take skill/practice to record vocals and guitar separately and maintain a killer pocket. But the same can be said for hitting the record button and just laying down a live performance.

I would say it depends on the style and type of recording one is after. Take for example a spin such as Patty Griffins “Living With Ghosts” Album. It’s a Girl and her guitar. I think recording the tracks separately would have changed the finished product, and not for the better. There’s probably great examples on the other side of the debate as well, songs that were tracked and would not have been the same if recorded as a performance.

LKristians, sorry to hijack your thread with this debate. Hope you find it relevant
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat