View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

In front of the guitar? :-)

I don't see any huge difference in where I'd place a ribbon compared to a condenser, but it depends on the mic. I have 2 stereo ribbons, which I generally put centered on the guitar, but raised above the soundhole. You can also record in MS with them, in which case, I make sure the mid mic is above the soundhole, but the side part of the mic may be straddling the soundhole - makes for a nice wide image. All of this is the same as I'd do with a condenser figure-8 mic. You do have to watch distance, as ribbons seem to be more prone to proximity effect - and tend to be bass heavy (or have high frequency rolloff) already.

I also have the AEA N22's which are much more like normal condensers, but like to be placed closer to the guitar - they're designed for home studios where the acoustics may be less than optimal and where close micing is desireable. Spaced pairs works great, even a few inches from the guitar. XY, MS also works well. Again, not much different than any other mic, other than that you can actually place these closer than most mics.