View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think on some of the models I've listened to on YouTube they took the "bluesy" thing too far. It's almost as if they were building a $400 guitar, jacking the price up and calling it "old time sound." To me it's just a cheap sound. Half that "old time sound" is from old recording equipment and the other half is because they played on cheap guitars.

I'd love to have a Waterloo, but I'm getting suspicious.

Somebody point me back to the light, lol.
I don't know where the light is. It may be over there.

I've played and currently play a number of higher end guitars and all I can talk about is the Waterloo WL14L Tbar guitar I picked up. It sounds great. But I don't play the blues. Don't sing them either.

Does it sound like my similar sized Martin '35 0018. Nope. Like I expected, the ladder brace slightly smears the transients, like having a tiny bit of hall reverb. But it still projects well, sustains beautifully, takes a licking, is well balanced with a n very present low end and skinfingerpicks OK, though not nearly as nice as my Goodall Parlor. Does it sound a bit like the prewar 00 no name ladder brace guitar I've had for 40 years. Yes, it does. Except it's much easier to play, keep in tune, has more overhead, I can hear the bottom, has very nice sustain without losing the fundamental and the neck is not quite in Louisville Slugger territory.

Is it a great all rounder guitar like the Bourgeois JOM or Slope D I have, nope.

Does it fill a niche I hear in my head like my '64 Guild M20, yes, definitely. I can see using it on a bunch of rootsy/folky stuff I'm working on and I've been writing with it for the last few days on both finger and flatpicking stuff. It is a fun guitar to play and it makes me feel good playing it.

Will it keep up at Merlefest like my D35 at 1 in the afternoon. Nope.

Will it sound great sitting around drinking coffee at 8am with my Merlefest vendor buddies in the vendor camp before the hoards show up? Yep. Sure will.

Does it sound like a $400 guitar. Well, I original paid $500 for the '35 00-18, so almost, but different.

Was it worth the $1250 I paid for it. I think it was. Pretty too. Not a big fan of matt finishes, but whatever. Definitely not disappointing.