View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Great review. Am I right in assuming that this system is not available to purchase independently ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Original Thread Link

Today, 09/21/2016, I received my new Martin GPC-18E with Aura VT Enhance. Both the guitar model and the Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system are new for 2016, and I haven't seen many of this model and the other new Standard Series models showing up much yet. The Martin GPC-18E, being a Standard Series model, features a regular Martin dovetail neck-joint. This model also features forward-shifted/scalloped X bracing, ebony fingerboard and bridge, open-gear tuners, and Modified Low Oval neck with Performing Artist Taper. You could think of this guitar as the "modern guitar" sibling of the newer Martin D-18 Standard Series model. The Martin GPC-18E is similar in concept to the Taylor 514ce ES2, and it and other Martin Grand Performance Cutaway models were likely developed to compete with Taylor's Grand Auditorium models. The Aura VT Enhance, which is a dual-source pickup/preamp design, consists of a Matrix UST feeding a single Aura Image which can be variably mixed with the output of the Enhance SBT pickup.

I've only played the Martin GPC-18E for a few minutes and can say it has good sustain and balance along with a pleasing resonance that definitely shouts Spruce/Mahogany! I've played a new Standard Series Martin OMC-18E in a local store, both acoustically and plugged-in, and acoustically I'd say the GPC-18E sounds a bit more balanced and a bit fuller than the Orchestra model. The plugged-in tone of the OMC-18E was okay. *I've yet to plug-in my GPC-18E to test its Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system. I'll report back here with my further impressions of the Martin GPC-18E and its Aura VT Enhance system, and although it's a Spruce/Rosewood guitar, a comparison with my Taylor 814ce ES2.

*I've now plugged-in the Martin GPC-18E and have commented on it in below posts. More to come.

The Martin OMC-18E packs a lot of punch and tone for a smaller guitar and it's super comfortable to play and hold. For me, it was a debate over ordering the GPC-18E online or getting the OMC-18E from my local dealer. The GPC-18E won out because I got an incredible deal on it. It took me two guitars from the dealer to get the keeper I now have but that's another story.

I'm getting the Martin GPC-18E's Aura VT Enhance sorted out but will install a new, fitted by me, Tusq saddle to replace the one factory-installed at Martin Guitars. That one was sanded too thin and tilts forward too much in the saddle slot for what I believe isn't enough full contact with the Matrix UST and, in turn, its contact with the bottom of the bridge-saddle slot. The saddle thickness (front-to-back) for a UST should be fitted to the bridge-saddle slot with just enough clearance so it can slide back and forth along the slot but still be tight enough not to tilt forward or backward. I have the time to properly fit a saddle to the saddle slot but Martin technicians are likely time-constrained and, thus, can't always dedicate their skill to the task at hand.

As of today, August 4, 2017, I'm still messing around with the Aura VT Enhance trying to get a nice amplified tone. I should contact Fishman regarding any possible adjustment of Trim pots that may be on the preamp board as a means of adding more Bass-frequency emphasis to both the Aura and the Enhance sections of the tone. The preamp, as is from the Martin factory, really needs the outboard EQ capabilities of an additional preamp, mixer or amp to get a satisfactory tone!

Martin GPC-18E Specifications at Martin Guitars Website (click the circled i on page for specs):
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...odels/gpc-18e/