View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM

AC,

It's not difficult to champion a mic that sounds like that. Some location audio guys sell them off from time to time. they hangout on a newsgroup called rec.arts.movies.production.sound

You could always post an ISO or looking to buy message.

Maybe you already know this. When I bought my second mic, they asked me for my serial number, pulled the graph at the factory and picked a new one that matched the one I had. Gotta love that.

I'm working on a madrigal CD now using both mics in XY to two channels of a Sound Devices 744T. Six a cappella singers in a big church. They are up in the chancery facing out over the pews. No one in the church but us. I chose the distance between them and the mics by how much of the room I want to hear in a pair of Sony MDR 7506 headphones.

On one the tracks, Janet sings a soprano part that's way high and syncopated. There's a proper name for that, I can't remember right now. She really opens up when she does that, so I moved her several feet behind everyone and asked her to aim it up towards the ceiling. On playback, they were pretty jazzed. You can very plainly hear her, but she's on a totally separate plane behind the front five due to the distance from the mic and because she was aiming it up and not at the mics.

Regards,

Ty Ford