View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Finally buying a preamp/effects unit, and I'm surprised how little info I can find (especially reviews from users) on the newer Zoom unit... I realize it's not the $$$ T-Rex Soulmate, and doesn't have a looper, but I'm a little surprised that a unit that ticks so many boxes doesn't seem to be used alot?
Hi ruger9

I don't mind boxes which are emulators but the Zoom AC-3 (and units like it) are wasted boxes for me. I'm not looking for an effects processor - I never use compression, reverb, chorus, echo, or tremolo. Not every player wants an effects pedal with preamp capability.

Units like the Zoom AC-3 have simple Low/mid/Hi tone adjustment, and no sweepable midrange. And they don't provide power to internal mics for those who have dual source rigs (till recently all my rigs had a Sound Board Transducer plus an internal mic).

So where the AC-2 or AC-3 are good for someone who likes the effects, for a straight acoustic player who just wants a better sounding guitar, it's not a fit.

I want my guitars to sound like as much like my guitars as possible through whatever amp or PA I'm using, so I spent more money than the AC-3 costs on just a Plain Jane preamp…for better preamp quality, and connectable options. If I wanted/needed effects, I'd add them as outboard units/pedals.

Perhaps the answer to why more players are not using units like this are two-fold.
  • One reason is people don't know it exists.
  • The other reason, is it's not ticking off the right things.

And if it's reviews you want, try YouTube. There are ton of them there.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…