View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 07:25 AM

I owned the Zoom AC-2. My reason for moving on was that I was primarily using K&K pickups at the time. The Zoom products use a standard 10M Ohm input impedance, which pairs well with under saddle transducers, Dazzos, Schatten HFN, etc. But, K&K recommends 1M Ohm impedance. I found that the sound was still very good, but maybe a touch on the muddy side when used with K&K. I ended up standardizing on 1M Ohm preamps like the ToneDexter and the K&K Pure preamp.

Since last year, I have been experimenting with Schatten HFN and Dazzo transducers. Both benefit from a higher input impedance. I should have kept the Zoom product because it had all the features I would look for in a DI. EQ, compressor, and reverb. It's an intelligently designed unit. The only features that would make it better would be longer battery life, a sweepable mid frequency control and possibly an 1M/10M impedance selector.

I think these new Zoom products are less popular on AGF because we don't have any of the "influencer" members promoting them. Also, some members prefer all analog gear.

However, I do think these new units are well designed and executed.

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.