View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 06:01 AM

This has happened to me multiple times. Particular guitars that come to mind are my Les Paul Traditional, Martin D-18, and my 000. The 000 is a different flavor, but missed the specific tone of having a 000. I probably miss amps more than guitars though...imagine that.

What I've found is that the experience the second time around is never as intoxicating as the first. Most of the time, the honeymoon is terribly short and the characteristics of the guitars that led me to sell them the first time present themselves much more quickly.

Sometimes you get lucky. My newest D-18 is head and shoulders better than I remember my previous D-18 being. More power and low end. However, my 000-18, while a good representation of a 000, has already reminded me why I keep falling for 000s only to regret it almost instantly. They have such a sultry sound, but they just lack the big full low end sound I want from acoustics. This is now the 4th time I've fallen captive to the "idealized" experience of owning a 000. I tell myself it is going to be the guitar I play more because it is comfortable, and it's so responsive. The mid heavy tone is sweet and I just feel like I could make a 000 my main guitar. Yeah, no not really. Never happens.

While I think I need/want diversity and different guitars for different voices, I really just apparently don't. If a guitar isn't resonating my chest into submission, I just can't seem to get into that guitar. I guess the experience I have when I play my 000-18 is, "why play this when you can get more of everything out of the D-18?"