View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonmoyerM View Post
I've been a reader of this forum for many years, and have stumbled upon this thread a few times. I have finally made the plunge ..so take it easy on me everyone lol.

First off, Congrats on an awesome build so far. Not only is it tough to show your work-in-progress to everyone, but to even show some mistakes...that is impressive and inspirational!

As for the headstock veneers... You do have a few different woods already in this build. So i can only offer a few tidbits of advice.

1) keep it simple but with flow - so maybe a rosewood veneer to compliment the fingerboard, or if you have cherry or mahogany scraps laying around that you can bookmatch into a head veneer. maple or flamed maple may be "too much" in my opinion for this option

2)traditional - might be a rosewood or ebony headplate veneer

3) make a statement - bloodwood bloodwood bloodwood. you can make that headstock standout in a crowd and it may compliment well with the cherry and mahogany once a finish is applied. (test before!)

as for storage of these veneers... Store bought headstock veneer typically is 1/16" - 1/8" thick so you can get away with keeping it by itself on your shelf or even sticker it with other woods if you are concerned. If it is a veneer that is 1/32" or so ...keeping it under a flat weight is never a bad idea. or even in a heavy hardcover book....just remember the page!

Titebond would be the way to go .

Hope i could help,

Mike
Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike! i am just trying to get something playable for this first time. like i said earlier i have absolutely zero experience with woodworking, glues, and power tools. so this is all a new experience for me.

the bloodwood i like also Mike but it is not a full size so i have to checkerboard my headstock in that case. the 1st set listed are specifically headstock size. the 2nd set that includes bloodwood is a little less than half size. so maybe i will do 2 if i do bloodwood if possible. bloodwood and?