View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
I saw the 2017 studios (both 335 and 339) have Traditional ‘C’ necks, while the 2016s had Soft ‘C’. Do you know what Soft ‘C’ means?

All Studio models prior to 2016 had 1 tone and 1 volume knob. 2016 and 2017 have 2 each like its older brothers (standard, vintage, etc).

I love the 339 body size as my father-in-law has an Epi Pro. It’s a killer guitar for $400 used..

I have had the bigger 335 body size in the past. It just has never been a Gibson. Hoping the quality far exceeds my expectations.
Thanks to my 390, I have an understanding of Gibson's Slimtaper "C" (which I like, but which some say is too skinny), but I've not seen/played a Traditional or a Soft "C". I know an Epi "D" has shoulders where a "C" does not, but that's as far as I can take the analysis - wonder if a "soft C" is squished a bit so it's on its way to a mild V, but not quite? Sounds like I wouldn't be able to buy sight unseen on 339 necks. Based on what I've read, "Traditional" for Gibson might mean a thickish neck, as used by them in the 50s. I'll be interested to hear your impression.

I've got the same epi pro 339 as your FIL, so you know that neck, which Epi calls its "Slimtaper D". The problem for some is that Epi's neck names are pretty meaningless, as very different shapes/profiles can bear the same name. I do love the epi 339, and am hanging on to it to see if my capacity will grow into loving that D neck profile. I'm new to guitar, but have heard more experienced people who play a lot complain about hand pain/fatigue from thin necks, so it may be that I like the thin 390 neck because I'm new to the game, it's easy to play, and I don't play a lot, or for long.

Anyway, thanks for the 339 info - I'm glad they went back to dual vol/tone controls.