View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Default The PL1, a Gibson L1 replica - added some videos

I’d like to introduce the PL1, a replica build of the 100 year old Gibson L1. I've been obsessed with this guitar for quite some time, it's sound and look are such a throw back to the early blues era. The L1 is an iconic, great old guitar, now hard to find and even harder to find in good shape. They were originally a carved top with a trapeze tailpiece and baseball bat style necks. I've braced this version but with a 15' top radius compared to the "normal" 28' radius to give it more of an arch top look. I’ve carved a much thinner, more playable neck I've also made a deeper body (similar to the "Nick Lucas Special" era of Gibson) for a bigger and fuller sound that is often missing from small bodied guitars. This guitar has a great old twang and will immediately transport you back in time and make you want to try all your blues licks, but is also a great finger picking guitar and strummer.

Western Red Cedar top, Sapele back and sides, Mahogany neck, Ebony finger board and bridge, Black Pearl inlay, aged Nickel hardware and a French Polish. Removable black Maple pick guard. Custom TKL brown alligator case.

$2100 with a natural finish and $2300 with a burgundy finish. Plus shipping costs.

I have a couple available now. I ask for a $500 deposit to add your place and in line for new orders.

In the next few days and weeks I’ll be adding more pictures and video to this thread. My website http://www.wideskyguitars.com/ is not completely done yet but there you can find specs and more info as well as see what else I’m up to. Also https://www.instagram.com/wide_sky_guitars/ on Instagram is a good way to see what’s going on in the shop and also some phone recordings there that will give and idea of the PL1s sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3162.jpg (62.0 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg PL1 detail 1.jpg (55.4 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg PL1 case and Olive.jpg (63.2 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg PL1 side view 1.jpg (35.5 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg PL1 case.jpg (43.1 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg Ebony blonde streaks.jpg (49.1 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by Patch Rubin; 05-01-2016 at 03:00 AM.