View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I love John Hurt and hear what you guys are saying, but I don't think of him as simple player at all. Lot's of people can play his tunes, but very few can play them with the same groove that John had.
Was wondering the same. Mr Hurt's melody lines are simple, what John Hurt plays on guitar is far from simple.

Go though "Payday" a few times w/ headphones and be humbled.

Same w/ Hubert, might appear to be simple, try and play it properly and get the timing correct,..

As many folks have responded, John Prine. Beautifully simple. Bobby Dylan is seldom mentioned but he's a great acoustic guitarist at what's most important, playing the song.

What I admire are great guitar players who can do anything but choose to play simple and economically. My friend Oliver Wood (the Wood Brothers and a solo career) comes to mind. He can play Coltrane solos, he chooses direct and spontaneous. Bill Frisell though complex for sure, presents his ideas in a thoughtful, measured, deceptively simple way.

John Leventhal on acoustic or electric is another, never overplays. Always beautifully concise. There are times you don't even know he's there, it's just the song, of course it's Rosanne Cash singing,..