View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
If you do a kit stay away from Stewmac. Their cardboard form thing is a recipie for disaster. As a beginner you must make a mold to hold the guitar in shape and to hold it while your working on it.
Not trying to start a big overblown discussion, but I don't think I'd go so far as to declare the StewMac cardboard form thing a total recipe for disaster. They're not ideal, but they do work if you are careful (and will save the first-timer a bit of the initial investment needed to get going otherwise).

There's lots of more troublesome things to get past on that first build to accomplish a good quality result (binding/purfling channels, getting the neck set right, finishing the thing, etc.).

But what a great hobby for someone who likes to build things with their own hands! The three kit guitars I built so far (all StewMac) each occupied me off and on for a winter and gave me huge feelings of accomplishment when finished.

I absolutely agree with the 'do it for the enjoyment, rather than a way to get a cheap guitar' sentiments, though.