View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Until I started teaching, it had never occurred to me that some held a plectrum incorrectly.

The dubious "picking up a bug" style is actually promulgated by some on YouTube, but it seems only by solid electric guitarists.

it requires the wrist to be permanently bent - which is really a bad idea!

I don't believe that the pick resting between index finger distal phalange and finger tip is a "bluegrass" method but obviously used by most bluegrass, country, blues, and jazz players.

For classical guitar playing there are formal methods but playing a steel string guitar with a pick is a relatively new concept. (nineteen twenties?)

We know that acoustic guitarists are adept and causing themselves muscular/nerve damage by poor posture and such (I've done 'em all!)

As I've aged and witnesses muscle mass, and joint issues, and witnessed those who have got it right and wrong, (and with advice from a friendly physiotherapist)

I've found that I have been able to help a lot of folk.

It all starts with how you sit, how you hold the guitar (western style) and how you hold yourself, from lower back to fingertip.

I've just waited 30 minutes looking at Y/T videos and there is a hole load of poor advice out there.

I find that once I've got my zoom clients to do this, their progress improves so much more quickly.

I did these vids a while ago, but I need to do a better one including pick method.