View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
I watched Kenny Goia's videos 7 years ago and they didn't sink in but he was the best at the time. I don't have especially good memories of them though they were better than the other ones I found where the person was showing Reaper with their preferred theme and their preferred plug-ins and their preferred this that and the other........ which made it not resemble what I had.

I don't record in Reaper. I record to a DR-40 (via a mixer) then take the tracks to Reaper to edit and clean up.

What do I think of Reaper? Waaay too complicated and not much in the way of help files to explain things. Yes, I read the manual (I'm an engineer. We do that.) but it still seems like a Unix helpfile- you have to know what it means for it to help. EDIT- I'm using Reaper 4.77 so perhaps there's more help in more current versions.

Price was right for venturing into that world but if there had been a Beginner button which would have hidden 80% of the menu choices it would have worked better for me.

It's working for me now for what I want to do - I use compressors, EQ, track doubling, compressor ducking guitar for vocals, volume envelopes and can successfully render.

Long ago I tried MIDI drums and was utterly stymied. I'm not going back there. Some folks here tried to help with that but online couldn't get thru to me. I'll live the rest of my life just fine without drums.
As far as the manual, are you referring to the downloadable PDF version of the full manual? I think it's well organized and easy to use. I keep the PDF on my computer's desktop for use when I am looking for an answer to a specific question.

You could just get yourself a KAT pad and record in real time if you want simple drums or percussion to flavor your recordings.