View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm thinking this one was owned by someone who made a half-hearted attempt at learning to play right about the time Elvis got out of the Army (probably got talked into the pickup at the same time as you suggest, by a store owner who wanted it out of his shop ASAP - for obvious reasons) and packed it away, never again to see the light of day until it found its way into your hands; needless to say it's your guitar/choice, but if it were me I'd remove that pickup, have my tech fill and spot-refinish any holes left behind, and sell the otherwise excellent-condition pickup to a collector for historic value alone - might net you a couple hundred to offset the cost of repairs, and I think you'll see a major improvement in tone and volume...
I'm going to be a dissenting voice. Since the guitar can never be restored to its original condition anyway, and because the OP likes the sound of the guitar amplified, my 2 cents are to leave it as is.

Now, if the OP's priority is to optimize its acoustic tone and volume, then yes. removing the Dearmond would achieve that.