View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
My latest studio PC, an HP with SSD has no discernible noise at all. My old HP with regular hard drive was only noisy when processing CPU-intensive things which would kick the fan up to high speed.
Traffic rumble was handled by using the low-cut filter on my LDCs, but was so low as to be unnoticeable anyway.
I had a fairly noisy fridge in the next room, but never noticed its noise getting picked up - but I often used movable traps to isolate the mic

If you are experiencing noise when recording, pinpoint the source - if its your computer, then isolating the computer or the tracking mic with movable gobo-traps may be the quickest solution.
Thanks for the ideas.

Very well could be the fridge in the next room, but when I opened the door to that room there was no change in the noise level. Still could be the source though.

The highest noise level in my room is a fairly narrow band at 50-60Hz, also nearly as high at 30Hz (when the HPF is off), also some noise but lower in the range of 120Hz and 180Hz (which the HPF doesn't help as it gets set in the range of 50-75Hz.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 09-25-2020 at 09:03 PM.