Thread: This Scum !
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
Sorry to sound like a noob but isn't distortion what makes playing sloppy obvious?
In one sense, yes. The compression involved makes any fumbled notes or unintentional noises louder than they'd normally be. You can hear finger movements on the strings.
At the same time, the compression levels out your dynamics, and enhances sustain, meaning you're not learning to control your articulation so well.
Overall, distortion tends to make you sound better than you are.
Quote:
moreover I do no prefer to play clean because that not what I like. I grew up listening to that type of music in which no guitarist plays wih clean setting.
That's a fair point, IMO. If you never want or need to play without distortion, then you should practice with distortion - learning how to use amp and FX as part of the instrument.
There are a lot of subtleties involved in distortion, a lot of varieties of timbre, and it's worth spending time getting to understand them. It's an essential part of the craft of rock guitar.
And that goes for volume too, although that's rather harder to work with - its effects depend so much on the space you're playing in; you end up "playing the room" - which is great, until you get into a different room...

You are missing out on a lot of stuff if you never play clean or at low volumes. But that's only like saying you're missing out if you never play nylon-string guitar... So what? you might well be tempted to say...
Quote:
I paid 25$ for a half hour lesson with this guy and yes though this was a trail lesson and him being a professional shouldn't he have brought an electric guitar knowing I wanted lessons in electric guitar?
Personally, I'd say yes, provided you really made that clear beforehand. If you talked mainly about wanting to practice bends, or other technical stuff, that might be different. However, if he found bending difficult himself on his acoustic, that's not a great sign...

BTW, while I'm not especially a fan of Clapton (I'm more a fan of his influences), he is a true master of electric guitar, and was one of the first to explore the potential of distortion. Along with Pete Townshend and Jimmy Page, his early 60s experiments with overdrive led Jim Marshall to improve his amp designs, leading to the classic heavy rock sound of the late 60s/early 70s. That's what you (in fact all of us) owe Eric!
He's an extremely tasteful player you can learn a lot from (too tasteful for me, as it happens, but there you go...). Go for his work with Mayall and Cream, rather than his more, er, relaxed later styles.

Last edited by JonPR; 11-22-2014 at 05:26 AM.