View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Then get the neck reset. Current monetary value aside, it's a solid wood American made instrument. Well worth saving. If it needs nothing else, a neck reset shouldn't cost more than $300, or $400 if you have to ship it two ways. These guitars are worth saving IMO.

I agree it is worth saving. Don't worry I definitely won't do the hack off the fingerboard wedge thing. The conversion to bolt on looks like a great idea in my opinion but my opinion on this is not worth much on this subject. I feel confident I could get the neck off with no issues. But getting it back on at a perfect angle seems unlikely. With the bolt on you can sand back the angle by sliding sand paper between the body and heel. Bolt it back up, re string it. If that wasn't enough unbolt it and do it a bit more. Seems to make sense.

Cutting off the tongue and securing it with bolts would be strong except the heel is very short cross grain. It could easily crack. How strong would that really be?

Around here I hear the number 500.00 thrown around for a neck reset. I've never actually gotten a quote on it though. I guess I should at least do that before I start hacking parts off.

What about a hybrid of a traditional neck reset and the bolt on method.
Completely remove the neck properly.
Drill holes in the neck block
Add threaded inserts to the tongue.
Slide it back together and bolt it instead of glue it?
That way it could be easily taken back apart if needed for further adjustment but it would retain the original joint.

So educate me a bit on what is happening here. From what I understand the heel block and the Bridge are caving in on themselves slowly over time. This causes the Bridge to curl and the neck to lift. Would there be any way to insert a threaded rod into the body of the guitar that could slowly add pressure between the head and heel? Basicly jacking the body back into shape?

Call it the banjo method.
Buy a length of threaded rod, a nut and a T Nut.
Drill a hole through the end of the guitar by the strap button.
Put the T nut in the hole on the inside.
Thread the rod all the way through the body of the guitar until it presses against the heel.
Tighten slowly over time to push the neck back down.
?? Watcha think?

Or instead of a threaded rod just do it like a Bridge Doctor.
Drill a hole through the headblock
Put in a threaded insert
Run a hardwood dowel through the hole to the tail block.
Insert a set screw to put pressure on the dowel. Pushing back the neck.
Call it a Neck Doctor!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb

Last edited by johna2u; 02-20-2016 at 11:26 AM.