View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 07:34 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This is always a great experiment to try to match someone's sound. I just spent a few minutes messing with your example tonight. Reverb's hard, but I found that the (free) Bricasti M7 Large Hall impulse loaded into Sound Designer (you could use SIR), sounds pretty close to me, with a decay of almost 4 seconds. The other aspect's actually harder - matching the raw recorded sound, with a different guitar, different room, different mics, and most critically, different player. This is a really simple little melody, but it's still hard to replicate Stephen's exact touch and phrasing, tho I might get closer with some practice. I'm listening to what I recorded, and it's hard to focus on the reverb when there are differences in phrasing, attack and tone, which no two people typically match. Still a great exercise.

I'm glad its not just me. I'll look at one of his arrangements and say, "Hey this is cake", but then it's a "Hey, what's going on here" shortly after,

His touch and the reverb makes for a powerful combination. If I can get some of that into my compositions I'll be happy.

I don't know how to use the Bricasti M7 wav impulses into my DAWs (Rx 7, Adobe Audition and Audacity) though. This Ambient one that I found will help me understand what knob does what. I'm going to record some chromatic scales played slowly and then start from there.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}: