View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Another installment on the path.

The Savarez Alliance trebles continued to mellow into week 3 and 4 and sound pretty good. After another 3 weeks or so I began to think of them as a little flat or muted sounding. A few days ago I took them off and put on the Knobloch Archives Carbon medium tension. The stretchiness feels about the same. They had some brassiness when first installed, but that seems to have settled out after just 4 days, and now they sound about as good as the Savarez at their best. The basses are harder to string though, as they don't have the dressed end that Savarez does on theirs.

I'm continuing to get used to the guitar. Everything about it seems more critical than a wooden one - the strings, the tuning, the dynamics - anything a little off and you notice it more. After a month playing it on the boat I am home for a couple of days and tried the K Yari again, I've grown used to the sound of the Blackbird, and the aged carbon strings it doesn't sound worse to me than the K Yari, just a little different and not that much different.

Switching back to the flat fingerboard didn't bother me much at all, the biggest difference there is the Micarta fingerboard is slippery compared to the Rosewood, it is easier to have your fretted string slide around on it. I prefer the rosewood in that regard.

I've also gotten used to the shape, and come to appreciate the NeckUp, no footstool required, an asset in the boat or camper where a footstool is hard to accommodate.