View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Mine are right around the 7/64" mark as well. I only know a couple songs that I tune down a full step (Yesterday being my favorite). Since I don't have many songs down there, I typically leave it tuned down for 45 mins to an hour and then tune back up. Since I do not do this often (once or twice a week at most), I was curious as to the long term effects, if any, of doing this.

If there is some risk, I would consider having a guitar set up for a 1/2 step down so I can drop the extra half when needed, or capo on the 1st fret for standard tuning easily. That 1/2 step is huge for my vocal range access.
I'm no luthier and I don't play one on TV, but there shouldn't be any real long term damage. Conventional wisdom says guitars will need to have a neck reset every "several decades or so" based on the tension that the strings exert and the type of neck join. Constantly tuning up and down likely won't decrease that interval appreciably. If it means you have to get a neck reset after 28 years instead of 29 or 30...that's a small tradeoff for being able to play and sing in your vocal register.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars