Thread: BUSTED BY ASCAP
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Default BUSTED BY ASCAP

Every other Thursday I attend a songwriter circle/open mic at a small local coffee shop. Average attendance is about a dozen people. The mix of what's played is around 50/50 of originals and covers.

At the last one we were informed ASCAP heard about us and is going to shut us down unless we pay $350 a year to do the covers. That's nearly right at $30 apiece for the regulars to cough up. Not to mention the fact that usually BMI is right behind with an identical demand.

I objected to paying because I only ever play originals. Somebody remarked "that only means the rest of us will be paying for the venue you get to play your originals in".

Right now I'm thinking that no matter how much I like this group, it looks like I'm done participating there. My advice was to stipulate everybody had to play originals and tell ASCAP to buzz off. I've been implored to come to a songwriter circle in Dallas (20 miles away, rush hour traffic to get there). The Dallas event is held in a historic, very famous old venue from 1910. A person who has seen several of my videos online of my songs keeps inviting me over. I'm certain a music venue such as this would have their licensing issues taken care of.