View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Need advice re: drop in tuners but use 3+3 or inline?

Hi, first off I apologize for the newbie stupid question. I know absolutely nothing about luthiery, so this is probably obvious but I just donʻt know the answer. Second, I apologize if it is has been answered before - I searched the forum but couldnʻt find an answer...probably because it is such a dumb question. Haha.

I just got a Santa Cruz Firefly guitar (love it btw) and it came with the Gotoh mini 510 tuners in chrome. I think the antique gold version would look better against the koa wood so I wanted to do a drop in replacement of the tuners with the exact same ones in antique gold.

The problem is that the only gold 3+3 sets I can find online to sell to the United States are the brassy, bright gold, not the antique. I managed to find a set from a Canadian source and have been awaiting an inquiry as to whether they are willing to ship to me (their website would not allow it).

I did manage to find both an inline 6 set, as well as a "lefty" inline 6 set from a supplier online. Seeing as how all of the tuners are individually installed (not on a strip), and that means there would be 6 right and 6 left, would it work if I took three from each of those sets and installed them? I know Iʻd have three of each remaining but donʻt care, I just really want these particular tuners.

I looked at the photos of both the "inline" and the 3+3 versions and they look identical, except for the packaging of three left/three right versus six "left" or six "right."

Iʻm hoping this works but not sure if it will? Any one out there know if it really just comes down to packaging, the tuners themselves are in fact identical?
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass