View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM

I think those who feel cost isn't a factor are sorely mistaken. Yes, CF guitars don't cost any more than most high end wood guitars. However, most people aren't buying high end guitars. There are very few CF guitars that sell for under $1000 and none of them are full sized guitars. When you walk into a Guitar Center, how many acoustic guitars do they have that are under $1000? And a lot of them are darn fine guitars. Cost is a huge factor.

Availability is another big factor. If someone could walk into a Guitar Center and try out 20 different CF models from a half dozen manufacturers, you would have a lot more people finding one they like, thinking "hey, this sounds pretty darn good". And then the durability advantages would get them thinking "hey, I can leave this out all year long and never worry about humidity. And if the kids knock it off the stand, no big deal." You can bet CF guitars would be a lot more popular if they were available in every shop in large numbers.

One big disadvantage CF has is the difference in approach someone takes when playing one. When someone picks up a wood guitar, they generally give it a fair, unbiased tryout. They're certainly not thinking "is this made of viable materials?" With CF, they think "prove to me that you're worthy to be considered a guitar." The CF guitar is in the hole before they ever strum a chord. If the guitar then doesn't blow them away, there's a good chance they'll come away thinking it was way too expensive, sounded bad and was ugly. If they were able to approach them with a truly open mind and had a good selection to try, many would quickly appreciate that they can be as good as wood guitars without the disadvantages of wood construction.