Thread: Bethany Guitars
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
A SERIOUS endorsement!
Not so sure about that, but I do really like Phil's work.

I love the 1940s LG with the way cool and way rare Recording King style fretboard inlays. Very cool.

Earlier, someone in this thread asked about Gibson's LG model. Gibson introduced the model in 1942, shipping the first in august of that year. Like many of Gibson's models, the number designates trim level, with the LG-1 (the wartime, Banner model was X-braced with multiple purflings) having a mahogany top, the LG-2 a sunburst spruce top, and the LG-3 having a natural spruce top. Otherwise, the guitars were the same.

The LG replaced Gibson's earlier "L" model (with the same numbering system: L-00, L-0, 1, 2). Lots of folks have speculated that "LG" stood for "little guitar" or "ladies guitar," but I'm confident that those suppositions are wrong. The LG is larger than the Robert Johnson era L-1 and Gibson did not marked it to women. Indeed, early ads depicted it with Robert Junior Lockwood, and certified Blues icon and supposed stepson of Robert Johnson.

I theorize in Kalamazoo Gals that "LG" stands for "L, gut string body size." Gibson used the same body mold it had been using for its classical guitars, the "G" models, and adapted it to a 14 fret, steel string guitar.

In any event, the LG is one of my all time favorite guitars and I really like what Phil is doing with the concept.