View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 AM

There's quite a few options out there, new and used. I've got a Yamaha CG120, CG150, G-50a, G50, G80, Washburn C80s, a Jasmine, and a Cordoba fusion. Prices ranged from $45-400, all purchased used.

Best of the lot, the $60 Yamaha G80. I've gone into guitar shops and played a bunch, and while I've found better than what I currently have, the price tags are at least 4 figures. And I still think my $60 find sounds better. (or I'm rationalizing... which usually works towards me spending money. Strange...)

Play everything you can get your hands on. I don't think there's a huge jump in quality till you get into the area well over your budget. Within your budget I think it's a fairly even playing field.
I'm a big fan of the used market, usually finding great deals that don't sour too much if the guitar isn't 'the one'.

With all this said, I've had the Jasmine for 15-20 years... When I didn't know better... well, I just played... It still gets playing time. (OK, most of that is my 5 year old daughter...)