Thread: mac or pc
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The only downside of macs is the price, if that's an issue. Personally I'd rather build my own PC, run linux, and put the money I save into better mics.

I do agree though: Mac & Apogee is one of the best options you can get for a home studio (but be aware that there seem to be some Lion driver problems right now although I'm sure that'll get sorted out).
I have done a lot of research over the years and the argument that Mac's cost more is an invalid argument. If you just look at raw specs then you may be able to get a cheaper Windows box. The argument that one could build a cheaper one may be true, but not everyone wants to build a computer and Windows and Linux cannot run a lot of the software out there that is available for OS X. I build my own audio components, and can build a system for far less than most people can buy a mediocre one...but, DIY is not for everyone.

If a person were to pack a computer with the same quality of components that you would get with a Mac, then both machines will cost about the same and sometimes the Mac will be cheaper. There are a couple of things that you cannot get with a stock Windows computer: 1) a trackpad second to none, 2) TOSLINK capabilities via the headphone jack, 3) native 64-bit UNIX kernel, 4) screen resolutions and colors, 5) simple built in audio capabilities, 6) FW800 and/or Thunderbolt, 7) hardware that is built like a military component, 8) Mac's do not depreciate much in value, etc.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to start a flame war...but, you do get what you pay for. Finally, most of the Lion driver issues can be traced to the second party vendors. Some, like Creative, just do not want to upgrade the drivers. You can run into the same problems if you run Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home