View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 07:05 AM

A while back I spent about a hour checking out a 5420, and apart from it's persistent tuning problems, likely stemming from a poorly cut nut and lack of a roller bridge, I thought it was a pretty decent guitar for the money. However, when I plugged in a $3000, Player Series Gretsch, it was all over. Same amp(Fender Princeton Reverb), location and settings.

First of all, the Player's tuning was spot on and solid, and the set up felt ready to go right out of the box. The hardware was of better quality, particularly the Bigsby. The improved resonance, sustain, and thickness of tone was very noticeable, both acoustically and through the amp. Overall, it was just a better guitar to my eyes, ears, and hands. It definitely made me consider moving my Gibson 335 for it. I didn't, but only because I like 335 too.

The 5420 is a nice guitar to dip a toe into the Gretsch world, and its definitely a gig worthy instrument, but by time it's upgraded with better tuners, pickups, and perhaps the Bigsby it would to cost about 2/3's the price of the Player, and still not be as nice or have the same resale value down the road.

As I've noticed quite often with guitars, its the little things that make the difference.