View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I was a pariah on Surf Guitar board back when I was in that scene for saying that I would never take something like a brown Fender out to your average barely paid surf gig in a bar. I would take a Crate Powerblock instead of my blackface Showman or Bandmaster unless it was a really special show. By the end I was only playing the Showman at outdoor gigs!
At the risk of getting too far OT, from what I read the final-edition Fender Frontman 212R - the one that could be mistaken for a blackface Twin from six feet away - gets a lot of cred from the surf crowd, and when retrofitted with a full-size 'verb tank and a pair of ultra-efficient Eminence Cannabis Rex or Swamp Thang speakers can go toe-to-toe with a '65 Twin RI (only drawback is the Swamp Thangs will put it over 60 pounds - in the same weight category as the Twin, and a real handful for a SS amp ). Scored mine brand-new for $157 when the Lancaster (PA) Best Buy was closing out their musical-instrument operation in 2013 - prices are going up as they're being (re)discovered (the replacement Champion 100 doesn't even come close) but you can still land a nice one in the $200-250 range if you're patient; FYI it sounds real nice with my 3-PU Gretsch E-matic - a little too crispy for my taste with the Falcon (a pair of C-Rex speakers should cure that) - with plenty of big blackface-style clean power, and if you own a piezo-UST acoustic-electric it'll kill a lot of the quack and ice-pick highs if you run through the low-gain input...