View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Buffing poly finishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Can you clarify HOW you are using the 3m system? I like it very much, but the intended use is with those 6-inch-plus buffers.

I'm asking because if you're doing it by hand (no tools) then that system will NOT work - it relies on frictional heat.
I was unclear. I use a powered DA (dual action) buffing machine. I have a Porter Cable 6" machine but found it to be too large, so now use a 3" machine with 2" adapter for the waist and headstock. I only do the neck by hand.

Not sure your comment re: heat. Buffing/polishing materials are abrasives, and work by abrasion. Heat is an enemy. Nice thing about DA polishers is that you can't overheat the finish, unlike a rotary polisher in the hands of an amateur (me :-).

The Perfect It system has 3 components, the #1 being a compound, and #2 and #3 for swirl removal and polishing. I use yellow, white, and black foam pads respectively.

I start with #1, and after many passes (and lots of material), there are still some scratches remaining. Note that the scratches are most noticeable with a single light source, like the auto folks use.

The auto folks seem to get all scratches removed with only a few passes of the #1 compound, so I wonder what an auto clearcoat is vs. these poly finishes.

3M has a more aggressive compound in this series, which I may try -- as I like this system.