View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 01:41 AM

I haven’t tried the combination you are interested in but here are my thoughts:

First, excellent choice with Furch. They are surely the best bang for the buck these days, outstanding build quality and playability with some great wood and specification choices. One of their great features is just their consistency, at least on all the models I’ve tried (and we own three!).

I’m going to do against the general trend here though and suggest you go for an OM, even if the main focus is bluegrass and folk music. One of the great things about Furch are the options available and if you are ordering then you should be able to get specific features: the deep body will offset some of the potential difference between GA and OM body styles, and there are 43, 44 and 45 mm nut widths available on the neck.

As for wood combinations/top wood, I agree with you - you have a collection that suits live playing already so why not add something a little different? Cedar might not be so obvious in bluegrass flatpicking but you have it covered already and having an alternative should give interesting sonic colours.

My rosewood spruce OM is the best balanced guitar I have. Volume wise it holds its own easily against my Taylor (GA) or Guild (D). I imagine the deep bodied OM would be an even better match!

have the narrow nut on mine which makes it perfect for flatpicking! Fingerstyle is doable too though if I’m playing out live I usually have my Taylor with me too.

While writing this on my phone I can’t remember what you have besides (can’t see the post when using Tapatalk!) but I’m sure an OM deep bodied would do the trick.

Of course, the GA is a superb all rounder too which is why my first new acoustic when I was after one in 2006 was my Taylor...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden