View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Micro-Tuner mini review

I recently got both the D'Addario Micro banjo tuner and Micro guitar tuner. They're called Micro Tuners and I'm calling this a Mini review since I don't think it qualifies as a full blown review. I don't have any affiliation with D'Addario, but I do love these tuners; at least enough to share this opinion.

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...o-banjo-tuner/

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...undhole-tuner/

The tuners appear to be insanely accurate. As a test, I put the D'Addario micro tuner in the soundhole and a Polytune clip-on tuner on the headstock. The Polytune and the D'Addario were spot-on identical detecting notes. The D'Addario has a bright display and good use of color to help dial in the note. Also, while you're tuning, the tuner display doesn't flail all over the place when reading the note, making it easier to find the note.

The D'Addario guitar Micro Tuner "clips" onto the edge of the soundhole. I say "clips" because the thing that holds it on is really just a piece of spring steel on the inside of the tuner that provides enough pressure to keep the tuner in place, but not so tight that it can dent the wood. On the outside, there's a plastic tab with a piece of foam to prevent the plastic from scratching the finish. The tab isn't invisible, but it's not that noticeable although I imagine it will eventually leave a tan line.

The banjo tuner's hoop mounting bracket connects to the hooks and had to be trimmed a little bit in order to fit the hooks nearest the neck so that the tuner part wouldn't be in the way when placing the banjo in the case. It trimmed easily with heavy scissors. The tuner part pivots and there's a little screw that determines how easily the tuner pivots. You do need to pivot the tuner down to put the banjo in the case and pivot it up in order to see it when tuning, but it's a small price to pay for the accuracy. I did the same test comparing it to the Polytune and got the same results.

I hope this is useful; I know I wish I'd found them sooner.