View Single Post
Old 10-27-2023, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Hmm... There used to be a rule on this forum outlawing brand wars.

Back to the original question, while there are differences in the tones of guitar brands, players who have been in it for a while also discuss various players having darker-sounding or brighter sounding hands. I was just watching a video with Nashville session player Tom Bukovac and a bunch of professionals where they discussed how different players could play the same rig and their particular touch would make it sound brighter or darker.

Bob
Ah, this for sure. Took some bluegrass classes from Scott Nygaard at a BG festival in San Francisco many years ago, and he spent a lot of time on how to get tone from the guitar. Sure there were points about which pick, but it was mostly (a couple hours) about attack and how to get dynamics with a varied attack. Quite the eye-opener for me at the time.

This goes for one of my closer playing buddies and I. I have much darker hands than he does, whichever guitar we're playing, and we share a lot. Taylor, Gibson, Martin...tonally I'm always darker than he is, probably because of that BG background. I just want to get a thicker sound than he does. He's a better player. We just have different tones, one not better than the other.