View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Does anyone know about the construction differences? Specifically bracing? Ie, do these use a tucked bridgeplate and aggressive scalloping like the Martin Authentic series?

I see they use fish glue, which is not hot hide glue. Thinner finish is smart. No dovetail or Tbar neck rod. I’d love to play one, but my skepticism is getting the better of me here.

Can anyone report on how these sound compare to comparable Martin Authentics? I ask because Collings is making the claim that these guys resemble the tone of pre war Martins. That’s a huge claim. I’m curious how the D1T sounds next to the D-18A 1937 or the D2T next to the D-28A 1937.
I like Collings guitars a lot. The T versions are drier and warmed up a bit, but I prefer the sound of the original/standard models. As Brencat says, the T versions are only slightly different from the originals to my ear. However, they don’t sound like a Martin - thankfully! I say this not as a knock to Martin. I just think it’s nice that we already have a builder that builds guitars that sound & play like a Martin; and that’s Martin. I appreciate having a variety to choose from. If I want something that sounds & plays like a Martin, I can buy a Martin. If I want something that sounds & plays like a Collings, I can buy one of those. But they are clearly different.